The most important election of 2023 is a little more than 2 weeks away, and Democrats have many reasons to be optimistic:
- In the primary, liberals garnered 54% of the vote to the conservatives’ 46%.
- Janet Protasiewicz has raised millions more dollars than David Kelly in campaign contributions.
- Likewise, she has heavily outspent Kelly in campaign ads.
- This election comes on the heels of disappointing results for the GOP in the midterms, as well as special election defeats for them since then.
- David Kelly’s work as an election denier who worked on the effort to overturn the midterm results in Wisconsin is not playing well with voters, particularly independents.
- The Republican Party’s waging of “culture wars” instead of addressing solutions to important issues is also not playing well in Wisconsin.
- The GOP’s side on the abortion issue is also not playing well.
- In private polling, Protasiewicz is ahead in the race.
- Liberals are excited about this race. Conservatives are also excited about this race. However, independents are also excited and most will not be voting conservative. The GOP needs the majority of these votes. The GOP will not get them.
- (This was to be a top 10 list, but I just ran out of ideas. So like you see on a few pages in many books, this item has intentionally been left blank - LOL).
This may be one of the most important elections that many of us have ever witnessed, and the stakes could not be any higher. In 2020, the Wisconsin Supreme Court came within a single vote of throwing out the election and possibly handing the state’s electoral votes to Donald Trump. This year, district Gerrymandering by Republicans will come before the court, as well as the constitutionality of an anti-abortion law that precedes the Civil War. Another case that will be heard is State v. Garland Dean Barnes, which will decide the constitutionality of whether “hearsay” overheard by a police officer counts as evidence in a criminal case. This election will help determine which way America is headed, forward toward progress or backward toward the Middle Ages.
A political battle is not that much different than waging war. Sometimes in war, one side will throw everything it has at an enemy until it culminates, and can no longer advance, thus enabling the enemy to counter attack and win the war. The MAGA Republicans have thrown everything it has at common sense and decency for many years. The GOP suffered a major defeat in 2020, but kept fighting until It’s forward progress was finally stopped in 2022. The MAGA movement has culminated, and now it’s time for the counter attack that will break it’s back, once and for all. Call it Waterloo. Call it Gettysburg. It is what it is. The members of the MAGA Republican army are about to fall on their swords.
To Wisconsin voters: You know what’s at stake, so vote like your lives depend on it because, in many ways, it does.
Comments are closed on this story.