The impending crisis over Taiwan has highlighted some vital facts that most corporate dominated media in 'murkkka has been ordered to ignore by the American corporate oligarchs:
1. Microchips are as vital today as oil is.
2. 'murkkka imports waaay too many of them from Taiwan.
How many microchips do you, yes, YOU, the gul (guy/gal) sitting at a microchip ran monitor or mobile video display, ran by a microchip ran computer be it a smartphone to a desktop, have on you right now?
Please, stop a minute and ask yourself that. Do you have a smartwatch? If so, that's a microchip. If you have a regular digital watch that's a much smaller microchip but a microchip nonetheless. If you have a mechanical watch, well, ok, you'll be able to tell time if microchip supplies are cut off.
Do you have credit cards? They probably have a microchip in them now.
So a lot of you will have a chip in your watch, a chip in your phone, some of you might have a laptop with more chips, in it, at least one card with one.... Ok, I think you've got it by now. Many of you will be carrying a number of microchips on you more or less at all times. You're all using them to read this. (Fun fact: my budget nord n200 phone puts more computational power in my left hand than NASA had during the moon landing era.)
Given the vitality of microchips and the fact they can be made, unlike oil, anywhere, why are we importing so many that Taiwan is as vital to us as any oil dealing country? Why are we not making out own here?
Yes, 'murkkka has a chip industry, but it's flailing and insufficient to meet out needs.
Given the vitality of chips why don't we make ALL we need here in what used to be the land of the free? It's true that President Joe Biden, winner of the largest election in 'murkkka and the man who beat his opponent by the largest number of people's votes (I just love reminding myself and others of those facts), has pushed a 280 billion $ bill that is so clearly a good thing that even the ancient ugly evil turtle of the senate dared not stick it's repulsive, inhuman head out of its decrepit shell and croak the magic word “Filibuster” in response to it.
But even 280 billion won't make the corporate states of 'murkkka chip independent. Why not go for 100% domestic chips? Made in sparkling new factories that represent the apex of modern technology and manufacturing, built to the clean, energy efficient and as close to pollution free as possible? Possibly recycling as much 'rust belt” debris as possible?
As I see it there are 3 reasons why we can't just go chip independent in a decade or so, starting now.
1. We have the corporate oligarchs who hate american workers for forming unions and demanding humane and decent treatment, standards of living, etc. Their black blood just boils in their even blacker hearts at the thought of American workers enjoying a good middleclass lifestyle instead of living in hovels or company shanty towns, paid in company script usable only at the company store like in the good ol' days with signs that say “If you don't come in Sunday don't come in Monday - The Management” (I had a sign like that in my social studies class room, did you?)
2. We have a corrupt political party that serves only the interest of the corporate oligarchy, and has at best hostile indifference to all the rest of the public in 'murkkka which forever votes in lock step with the dictates of the corporate oligarchs.
3. We have tens of millions of people in this country who are, frankly, stupid enough to vote for this party and its policies despite 40 years of their policies hurting most Americans and benefiting the uber rich.
Really we should be just beginning with the drive to make a fully sufficient domestic chip industry in 'murkkka today, that 280B should just be a start, we should make “MICROCHIPS AHOY!” a national cry to mark our journey to a full domestic chip industry.
Sadly, the greed of the oligarchs, the corruption of the conservative party and the stupidity of its voters will likely see this beautiful ship ran onto a reef, torpedoed and sank fairly soon.