- Release a budget with cuts to Social Security.
- The base pushes back: Um, we're Democrats. We don't cut Social Security!
- President Barack Obama gets defensive: But it's the Republicans' idea!
- Except that the Republicans didn't include Social Security cuts in their crazy draconian budget. Why? Because only a moron would step on that third rail.
- Re-read step #1.
- Republicans begin 2014 campaign, charging that Democrats want to cut Social Security.
If there's any silver lining in this debacle, it's that it'll allow congressional Democrats the opportunity to distance themselves from this bumbling White House.
Unfortunately, they have to distance themselves from the party's leader, never a fun place for a politician to be. See 2006. And 2010.
What's craziest about this whole fiasco is how shellshocked the White House appears about it. It's as if they expected to be greeted with rose petals for "making the tough choices" or whatever bullshit they want to call it today.